Ginger-Brined Shrimp Tacos
- 1 (4-inch) piece fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cups water
- 1 lb pink shrimp
- 1 lime
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons sriracha sauce
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon ginger spice paste
- 1 (12 oz) bag broccoli slaw
- 1 11 oz. package street taco flour tortillas
- 1 green onion
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts
- 2 limes
1. Prepare brine. Peel and slice ginger thinly. Add to medium saucepan: ginger, sugar, salt, red pepper, and water; bring to boil on medium-high. Boil, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves. Pour brine into a heat-proof bowl. Chill until cooled completely.
2. Devein shrimp, if needed. Add shrimp to chilled brine and set aside 30 60 minutes (wash hands).
3. Prepare slaw. Juice lime (2 tablespoons) Combine in large bowl: mayonnaise, sriracha, chili sauce, lime juice, soy sauce, sesame oil, and ginger paste until blended. Add slaw; toss to coat and set aside.
4. Preheat grill pan on high for 2 3 minutes. Remove shrimp from brine (discard brine) and pat dry. Arrange shrimp on grill pan and cook 1 2 minutes on each side until grill-marked and shrimp are pink and opaque.
5. To serve, warm tortillas per package instructions. Thinly slice green onion; coarsely chop peanuts and cilantro. Cut limes into wedges. Remove shells and tails from shrimp and divide between tortillas. Top evenly with slaw, onions, cilantro, and peanuts. Serve with lime wedges. (Makes about 10 tacos.)
Copyright 2021 WCTV. All rights reserved.